Saturday, November 25, 2006

The two tales of a City...

The disadvantage of living in a place too long is probably the fact that you get too comfortable with the city that was and you endlessly complain about the city that is...

But to have seen the change and to live life by the changing rules still , which most of us are involuntarily doing, gets you thinking, atleast once in a while... Owe this one to all the thinking I have done in the past few days... "with my theatre masks on - : ) one for the happy tale : ( one for the sad tale "

I squinted my eyes, at the sunlight spears
From the broad blue skies and fluffy cheers.

I spread my arms to embrace the twinkling stars
On a moonlit night, past the street light hours.

I waded, my feet in the merry, silvery lake
Across the humble dwellings painted like cake

I felt the seasons amble along in the splendid colour...
Of flowers yellow, pink and lavander, that shower.

I smelt the lovely gardens in the neighbourhoods
And walked along the tall spiny trees in the woods.

I heard a lilting tune, in the holy place nearby.
Found that in this little city, my joys truly lie.

I shed a tear once before, riding the wind over...
Brimming spirits oozed out often, never any lower.

I squint my eyes now, to look beyond the endless lines,
Of cars or people, who cannot read our traffic signs.

I spread my arms, to stretch, on this same old street,
Trying to avoid touch, amidst a tiring shoppers' fleet.

I wade through puddles, feet going sore, in the rains,
Walking on worn out roads and along overflowing drains.

I feel my life rush past me, in the big city's huddle,
Miss the friendly town with a puppies I could cuddle...

I smell the synthetic perfume, among all the phone calls,
In the neon lights of the sensational, olfactory malls.

I hear the cacophony of myriad horns waiting in impatience,
And endure the mindless music, switching radio stations.

I shed a tear again today, as my heavy heart within cries...
And the drop of regret is, for my city's despiteful demise.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very true! This is such a vivid and real portrayal of the downfall of this city. A very well thought and well written poem. Great work!

Megha said...

Thanks. It may actually be more well-thought than it appears with just the play of words...

Really remember some of the simplicity of this city when we were younger ...when we had the time to stop and look at the flowers...They still bloom though along the Sankey stretch and near Minsk square. But the traffic takes your attention off. I remember when my cousin and me used to stop to see his house painted in pastel shades making it look like a cake...
And how some visitors we had recently said... the cloud formations here are very beautiful (going over the board to say - unlike anywhere else in the world)... Some things have lasted... but not sure how long they'll stay :(

Anonymous said...

It certainly is very well thought and well written poem.

I really liked the way you have compared the past to the present. I though have not seen much of the past but can imagine what you mean here. But I have certainly seen the present changing a lot. Traffic, pollution and over population is what i see all around. I don't understand where it is leading to but am sure that all the joys of a simple life are running away from the present and this city is turning into concrete like some big cities around the world. There will be more infrastructure so to speak in coming years but all will lead to more and more miserable life for people who have got stuck in this "chakrvyuh" of the silicon valley without any escape.

Megha said...

All in delivering the promise of a Metropolis...

yes... little are the chances of escape

Anonymous said...

But then ... how foolish, ignorant or helpless we are that even though most of the people realize and complain about the change everyday, yet this metropolis is chaining them in more greed and materialistic pleasure. Often now and then I wonder what in reality life should be all about but then I see every year more and more people coming in in pursuit of "happiness" which certainly is short lived before they can realize the gamble all these pleasure bring with them and chain them to this metropolis with little chances of escape.

PASHOK said...

I remember us walking past cluny convent back to your house in 1st block and these big yellow flowers that we picked to smell and Amit scared us that this will result in us becoming ghosts or lizards in the night... I am still scared of smelling those flowers...
I miss being simple in a simpler town...

prem said...

Excellent poem. How green was my bangalore ....

SpoorthyMurali said...

I miss the sparrows in Bangalore !! (U missed to mention tht in ur poetry!). I get reminded of Ravi BeLagere's comment - 'Like sparrows in Bangalore..some quite harmless friendly relations wud have disappeared from our lives, and we would have missed to notice!'.
Btw, a very nice poem..esp liked the line on brimming spirits!