Wednesday, September 27, 2006

2005's new year poem

Poem I wrote for the New Year 2006... just after the Tsunami...


I am born among Mother Earth's various off springs
For me, songs of compassion and spirit, Nature sings

The Spring arrives, brings with her merry greens,
Flora and fauna sing and dance in splendid scenes,
In the clear skies, stars sparkle all bright,
But I walk farther for a diamond while I might

As the Autumn's hues over leaves unfold
I am gifted with Midas's touch of gold,
They fall down on me, precious to gather,
But I dig deeper for shining metal rather,

The Showers pour on the window's cob webs all night,
Glittering curtains bring through gentle sunlight,
Silver drops along the railing's ridge trickle
But I work longer for earning a worthy nickel,

Winter and Chill enter my lonely life together,
Call for sitting around warmth in the weather,
The Sky flakes kindly over me leaving snow covers,
But I look beyond Her, to dream of Ivory towers,

I bind beauty in cages, capture birds flying free,
I rest on wooden luxury, cut down a living tree!
I claim compassion, while my burden, animals bear,
And the love for you, I claim often, is actually rare!

Blessed am I, with such intelligence and speech,
But I wrong all of it for everything in my reach!
I have survived another year, in such disgrace,
I can not complain if the Oceans reflect rocking menace,

While the Powerful, avenge us with their mighty waves,
I thank my Mother for every friend of mine she saves!
And Mother is so truly giving, I have another chance,
This year I will have more to see than in a glance.

Mother and me will live this year, with amity and grace,
Only my eyes dare capture memories of Her smiling face!
Four seasons that encompass a whole Year's expressions,

Come to me again, as a promise of priceless lessons!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good poem...
But if you thank her for every friend she saves,
shud I curse her for every friend that she takes.
Aren't nature's tragedies been taking place ever since man lived in caves,
so wat is this revenge funda because of how man behaves.

Is nature truly giving? she gives wat she takes and takes what she gives. She gives you floods,earthquakes and numerous other things to kill you... and numerous other things to help you survive.
Cute that you refer to "mother nature/mother earth".... just like a student in 5th grade would.
Nature nurtures and nature kills... the last attribute is not a characteristic of a mother.

Megha said...

I believe, people live their chance, ...it might be short... it might be a long... the lifetime they have. But while alive, if they live with people they like, with friends, family and know how to find happiness / beauty in these little things, it's like being cared for ... and cared for by nature, by circumstances and surroundings ... that's who a mother is. And we can't be blind about the kind of payback we have for her... I hate traffic...roads... excessive induatrialization. I hate our definition of progress...

But that's just my opinion...

Anonymous said...

Watz nature got to do with living with ppl u like and finding happiness. I would accept it if u said 'cared for by God' and it would make more sense. Nature is full of life and without a soul. I cannot feel nature having human emotions of love or even vengeance. Things happen because they have to. Dinos weren't driven to extinction in the ice age because of excessive industrialization or they built too many roads and polluted the earth...

Dont hate our definition of progress. Medicine and science have made life better. The possibilities of what we can do and have achieved is so much. It has helped save many lives and sadly taken as many. The path of progress is not a happy journey with a picturesque view from the window. It is pain, suffering and happiness. Is all that we have done now ..the vaccines we have found , the lives we have created for ourselves, the cities we have built, worth the trouble ? I think so. It is not 'progress' that I'm afraid of, but the hearts of greedy men who by their actions will spell doom.

Megha said...

Well... I am a believer in nature provisioning life / living... Nature is God

And I am also precisely talking about the greed of man...Our societies are driven by the greed of proving our intelligence to be superior...

I value human emotion and and I respect intelligence.... I also respect progress and striving for betterment... but I don't understand " made our lives better " ... Better than what? Are you like so sure we are headed towards some superior kind of self-improvment? If anything it is probably a selfish (kind of ) improvement... Man over other animals... Man over other men...

prem said...

" made our lives better " ... u won't find people still dying of plague like in the medieval ages.
Every living organism is tuned towards ensuring its survival and we are no different.